Friday, February 7, 2020

15th Birthday!


Today it has been 15 years that I had my surgery in UCLA, performed by Dr. Linda Liau (In the picture below), an incredibly gifted and meticulous neurosurgeon, who saved my life on this day. I still hope , that through doing my science, I will be able to pay the universe back a little something on this narrow escape of mine, so many good people die from brain tumor and I like to think, there is a reason, why I got away and I am supposed to do/achieve SOMEthing important. OK I will be submitting a publication on our data for Oncohistone biology soon, maybe something therapeutic will come out of that. But first in needs to be accepted  by the journal.

For anybody out there with a new diagnosis!  15 years!  Keep fighting that THING  (Sometimes I engage in this "Exercise" to visualise the cancer (or the remaining cells, sitting disseminated throughout he healthy cells in my brain) and EAT them. Grinding them between my teeth, and swallow them. Its a bit of a disgusting image, but I believe it goes in the right direction.

Take care!



3 comments:

  1. Thomass,
    Congratulations on another"birthday"!
    Don't worry - you continue to make a difference in what you do and have done to encourage and inspire others, including this blog.
    I just had a birthday myself, and I can tell you that your story made a big difference to me when I began this journey last January.
    I hope your paper gets accepted for publication. It's good to read your post.
    Best wishes to you and your family for a healthy 2020!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Thomass,
    Well, still here, coming up on 23 months since my own seizure. I hope you and your family are healthy and safe.
    I completed my 12th cycle of temozolomide in April, and have had three clear scans since. Your story continues to be an inspiration.
    For others reading this: paying it forward is a part of this difficult journey. I'm grateful to Thomass for continuing to post. He is one of the amazing people I have "met" through my treatment. These are the angels who help us through this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris again. Today marks 24 months since my surgery. I'm grateful for another clear scan this month, thankful for the amazing work of Dr Alexandra Golby and her neurosurgical team at Brigham and Women's hospital, and for the neuro oncology and radiation oncology doctors and nurses at Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Also for the courage of my wife, the grace of all the angels along the way, and especially for the friends we lost to GBMs this past year. We learn to live with this.

    ReplyDelete